Mage: How to....

Discussion of any of the races, classes, or professions in WoW.
Merdrah
CSF Regular

Mage: How to....

Post by Merdrah »

Few years ago I got my Mage past Wrath content and into Cata. Where I was wiping on pretty much every quest. Even with heirlooms.

I have him sitting at 85 all this time later and I can't get back into it. I've tried all 3 specs and I just can't get past how fragile the class is now.
I don't know...I don't know..........I don't know

Rufflebottom
CSF Regular
WoW character level: 0

Re: Mage: How to....

Post by Rufflebottom »

I always level Frost because Elemental, and my main is a lock. Half my legendary cloaks are on locks. I might like locks a bit.

I pull smaller groups than I do with my lock because the Elemental has little to no threat. Useless twit.

I choose talents that give health back - Temporal Shield, Cold Snap.

I use Glyph of Evocation.

I use the gear vendors to upgrade my gear whenever possible. Use the highest possible, like the BoA treasure weapons.

Get and use the Crystal of Insanity. There are three crystals in the mouth of the cave on Timeless Isle that you can get to without agroing the jade spirits. Or run behind a group going for the Rares.

Have a lock friend make you a lock candy whenever possible.

You probably won't be able to stop NPCs from trying to kick your butt, but you can do things to try and make sure you aren't spending half your time running back to your body from a grave yard.

If someone tells you that you aren't playing your mage right, tell them it's an alt and you are experimenting with something. Or you're playing the way you are on a dare from a guildie. It's amazing the garbage some people will believe. If they give you advice say Thank You. Try their advice out later when they aren't looking, especially if they aren't currently on their mage. They could be telling the truth, in which case they have helped you. On the other hand, they could be punking you and you don't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing you fell for it.

If you want some help getting your mage to 90, add Rufflebottom#1602 I "might" have an alt or two that can help.
Last edited by Rufflebottom on Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self edit.

Drezbek
Tech Support Regular

Post by Drezbek »

I feel your pain. I just got my mage to 90 and it was painful, to say the least. Even with me passing gear on to it from the Timeless Isle, it's still the least favorite of my toons due to the squishy nature and lack of damage. Right now, my warlock is kicking serious butt in the damage department. Just wish I could pass on the coinage to other toons instead of buying gear. Drez (my hunter) would LOVE to get his hands on that crossbow sold by the quartermaster on the Timeless Isle.
I drank WHAT?!!!! - Socrates

Rufflebottom
CSF Regular

Post by Rufflebottom »

I got paid the most awesome compliment in a random dungeon once. Someone told one of the other players to pick up their game because even the Frost Mage was out-DPSing them.

Jae

Post by Jae »

I just run my mages with a 90 hunter from another one of my accounts. I can't stand the pain otherwise.
People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Kittin
CSF Regular
WoW character race: Gnome
WoW character class: Warlock
WoW character gender: Female

Post by Kittin »

I've finally picked up my mage again. She was 3rd to level cap in BC... maybe 4th? Have barely touched her since, and she stagnated on 73 for two or more years.

She's currently 84, and honestly, I've had very little trouble. One death from stupid (I forgot I wasn't a warlock and pulled a group of 8 mobs in Deepholm), and a couple from not having situational awareness. She's frost, and up to 81 was fully decked out in heirlooms, if that makes a difference.
Nothing we have is worth hurting anyone else for. It's all fleeting people. Stop seeing race, color, sex, religion, etc.... Theyre all just people, and if you try to love them you won't lose anything.
-Lucidending, reddit.com 2011