Witch hunts

Not quite ESPN, but if you want to talk about balls and sticky wickets, this is the place for it.
Jae
WoW character level: 0

Witch hunts

Post by Jae »

I'm SERIOUSLY tired of - not to mention disturbed by - the current "witch hunt" mentality as regards sports figures like Barry Bonds.

In the first place, I don't give a rat's ass if these overpaid underworked bozos use HGH, steroids or whatever. I just don't care.

However.... I DO care that so many things are going on with for gods'sakes the FEDERAL GOV'T and Grand Juries etc.... over things that happened BEFORE THOSE SUBSTANCES WERE EFFECTIVELY OUTLAWED.

THAT is a major issue. Did BB obstruct justice? Maybe, by the lights of the current exposure. But nothing he did - or Mark McGwire et al - was illegal at the time it was done.

Where does ANYONE get off convicting people for doing something that wasn't illegal WHEN THEY DID IT? Doesn't give me a real good feeling about the justice system (not that I've had a good feeling about it for - oh - 50 years or so anyway....)
People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Drezbek
Tech Support Regular

Re: Witch hunts

Post by Drezbek »

Actually, the use of steroids in the manner they were using it IS illegal and has been since 1990.
I drank WHAT?!!!! - Socrates

Jae

Post by Jae »

IIRC, in MLB, it was not part of canon until 2000 - unless of course they're now retconning. Which I wouldn't bet against.
People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Drezbek
Tech Support Regular

Post by Drezbek »

In 1990, the Fed's put anabolic steroids into the same class of drugs that barbiturates reside in. Any unauthorized use was illegal after that, including sports.

What pisses me off is the "god" status these idiots are granted, and the leagues turn a blind eye to the drug use. So yes. Smack the living shit out of them, jail the fuckers, and maybe, just maybe, the leagues will force everyone to clean up their act and start firing these idiots when they're caught using. Until then, haul their ass before the judge and throw the bloody book at them.
I drank WHAT?!!!! - Socrates

Teufelgott
CSF Regular

Post by Teufelgott »

I guess the part that bothers me is Congress's apparent need to micro-manage the issue. Let whichever law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction do it's damn job. Do the shit you were elected to do. Clue: it certainly wasn't to grill athletes on C-SPAN2.

On the other hand, some overpaid, under-worked prima donna baseball player shooting up with steroids doesn't affect me one whit, so I really don't care any more than Barry Bonds worries about what I may or may not be dosing myself with.
"'Or else' seems like a stupid fucking thing to say to someone like me."