The Double Draenei Debacle

Fancy yourself an expert on WoW Lore? Got a question for those who think they might be? Post here.

Moderator: Nala

Krog
CSF Regular

The Double Draenei Debacle

Post by Krog »

It'll be interesting to see how Blizz will handle this. Every single Draenei we currently have in the game will also exist in the WoD timeline. Velen, player characters, flight masters, innkeepers. It will essentially be the exact same person with about 99% of the same life experiences, sans what happened after the divergence. Will most of the Draenei NPCs be the same ones we've already met in the Exodar and beyond? Any sort of easter egg for draenei characters(Think Hourglass of Time from Dragonblight)? Two Velens and Maraads distributing holy vengeance?

Or are they just going to take a shit and ignore that aspect entirely?
The cake is not a lie!

Krog's Gnome Extermination Co. - "Big trouble comes in little packages!" Est. 2010.

NOTICE: The creature "Abrahams" is to be reported to the authorities IMMEDIATELY. This little devil is ARMED AND HIGHLY DANGEROUS. DO NOT ENGAGE. Our best punters will be there in a heartbeat!

Rufflebottom
CSF Regular
WoW character level: 0

Re: The Double Draenei Debacle

Post by Rufflebottom »

Ignore it and it will go away. :lol:

Pahanda
Site Administrator

Post by Pahanda »

It's a second, stable timeline. Paradoxes are not a factor.

Or, as the MST3K folks explained it:
Real men (and tauren) wear kilts.
Update my signature regularly to reflect my characters' levels? Nah, I'm lazy!

Nala

Post by Nala »

Source? because I played the Alliance questline and it wasn't like that at all.
You never cease to amaze me, Alvie. I envy your papercrafting skills!

Krog
CSF Regular

Post by Krog »

Nala wrote:Source? because I played the Alliance questline and it wasn't like that at all.
Logic. Draenei live thousands of years, and don't reach maturity until a hundred or so. The only Draenei in the game that will not have been around during this time will be young children.

If we created an alternate universe from our own that diverged, say, a week ago, and then we were able to visit it all of us would be there, with a vast majority of the same memories. That's what it will be like for Draenei.

The Shattrath massacre never happened, right? That will give quite a few more characters for Blizzard to play with, but all of the ones we know will still be around in some shape or form.

Clarification Edit: I'm not saying that Blizzard will have the duplicates in the game, simply that they should be in there.
Last edited by Krog on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self edit.
The cake is not a lie!

Krog's Gnome Extermination Co. - "Big trouble comes in little packages!" Est. 2010.

NOTICE: The creature "Abrahams" is to be reported to the authorities IMMEDIATELY. This little devil is ARMED AND HIGHLY DANGEROUS. DO NOT ENGAGE. Our best punters will be there in a heartbeat!

Krog
CSF Regular

Post by Krog »

Rufflebottom wrote:Ignore it and it will go away. :lol:
I don't want to. :(

Blizzard could actually do great things with this, if they so chose. Family members reuniting after losing each other in their prospective universes, etc.

Think Doctor Who and the parallel universe where Rose's father lives.
Last edited by Krog on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cake is not a lie!

Nala

Post by Nala »

It's a past alternative timeline, if that's what you're wondering. Garrosh stops the drinking of the blood and from that point on it's an alternative timeline.
You never cease to amaze me, Alvie. I envy your papercrafting skills!

Krog
CSF Regular

Post by Krog »

Nala wrote:It's a past alternative timeline, if that's what you're wondering. Garrosh stops the drinking of the blood and from that point on it's an alternative timeline.
That's what I thought.

My point is that every Draenei we currently have in the game was around during this time period, so we should be able to run into them all in the alternate timeline, with exceptions for those who died of other causes, of course. Additionally, since Shattrath never happened, Draenei from our timeline could potentially meet family members who are dead in our timeline.
The cake is not a lie!

Pahanda
Site Administrator

Post by Pahanda »

We're going back to the point in time - in the alternate timeline - where the fel corruption was stopped. Technically, we're in the "past". Yes, there are some draenei living who have "present" equivalents, but Blizzard has told us that this is effectively meaningless - no paradoxes, no problems with "meeting yourself".

A Bronze Dragon did it. Don't worry about the consequences; just let them explore the alternate history.

Krog
CSF Regular

Post by Krog »

Pahanda wrote:We're going back to the point in time - in the alternate timeline - where the fel corruption was stopped. Technically, we're in the "past". Yes, there are some draenei living who have "present" equivalents, but Blizzard has told us that this is effectively meaningless - no paradoxes, no problems with "meeting yourself".

A Bronze Dragon did it. Don't worry about the consequences; just let them explore the alternate history.
I understand why they did it, but damn, that would have been entertaining to see play out.

So, in short, A Wizard Did It?
The cake is not a lie!

Pahanda
Site Administrator

Post by Pahanda »

Krog wrote:
Pahanda wrote:We're going back to the point in time - in the alternate timeline - where the fel corruption was stopped. Technically, we're in the "past". Yes, there are some draenei living who have "present" equivalents, but Blizzard has told us that this is effectively meaningless - no paradoxes, no problems with "meeting yourself".

I understand why they did it, but damn, that would have been entertaining to see play out.

So, in short, A Wizard Did It?
Time travel with active paradoxes is messy. Very messy.

And seriously... Don't explain the joke. :roll:
(yes, that's what I was going for)

Merdrah
CSF Regular

Post by Merdrah »

Christie Golden already explored this very concept.
http://wowpedia.org/Thrall:_Twilight_of_the_Aspects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thrall visits a few different timelines. One where he dies as a baby. But he also gets to see the moment where his parents die. Watches his mother go down fighting and eases his dieing fathers mind.
The general idea is that all timelines are connected. Id have to pull my copy out and find the page for the exact wording.

On the Horde side of the expansion it's setup for the Horde to experience what they used to be like and reconnect with what their values where.
Edit:
Some of Nozdormu's greeting lines. These might help you understand.
*In time, all things are possible...
*All that matters, is this moment...
*Time is a tangled web. Try not to dwell on all the loose ends.
*Do not confined yourself into liner thinking.

Also in The Last Guardian http://wowpedia.org/The_Last_Guardian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Medivh and Khadgar get talking about why Karazan exsists. Medivh stating that the tower was placed there in preperation for him. Though it's possible that that was Sargeras talking. But the conversation changed to time. Medivh stating that time doesn't work like a clock. It works like an hourglass. Each time you turn the hourglass over the grains of sand fall in a different order, but they always end up in the same place. Technically, events don't need to occur in a chronological order.
Last edited by Merdrah on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jae

Post by Jae »

Merdrah wrote:Christie Golden already explored this very concept.
http://wowpedia.org/Thrall:_Twilight_of_the_Aspects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thrall visits a few different timelines. One where he dies as a baby. But he also gets to see the moment where his parents die. Watches his mother go down fighting and eases his dieing fathers mind.
The general idea is that all timelines are connected. Id have to pull my copy out and find the page for the exact wording.

On the Horde side of the expansion it's setup for the Horde to experience what they used to be like and reconnect with what their values where.
I think you can consider "all timelines connected" simply because the split-points exist identically among all potential times. But once you take one step down the secondary or tertiary or quaternary (etc. etc. ad infinitum ad nauseam) path from the split-point, then you're in another reality altogether. Some of those realities may have time paradoxes; some don't. The one Blizzard's proposing doesn't - and hence they're billing it as "just an alternate, though past, reality".

Good thing really - time paradoxes are.... complex. WoW2 (if there ever is one) might be able to handle it, depending on the quality of the writers.... I don't think current WoW can.

And apologies to whoever wrote Noz's lines - but in our current state of evolution, it's pretty damn hard not to be linear in thought patterns - since to us time seems to have a beginning and an end, rather than being a sea with no boundaries....
Last edited by Jae on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Teufelgott
CSF Regular

Post by Teufelgott »

The best advice I can offer is to not get too hung up trying to apply logic to a fantasy game about orcs and elves and dragons. And goat people from outer space.
Last edited by Teufelgott on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"'Or else' seems like a stupid fucking thing to say to someone like me."