08/13/2016 - Server OS Upgrade, phpBB Version Upgrade

Planned outages and such will be announced here in advance. We are up on Tuesday mornings.
Pahanda
Site Administrator
WoW character level: 0

08/13/2016 - Server OS Upgrade, phpBB Version Upgrade

Post by Pahanda »

I've been slacking a bit on these, so I'm going to get these done this coming Saturday morning.

As usual, I'll start early and downtime will be minimal. I'll post an update when I'm finished.
Real men (and tauren) wear kilts.
Update my signature regularly to reflect my characters' levels? Nah, I'm lazy!

Pahanda
Site Administrator
WoW character level: 0

Re: 08/13/2016 - Server OS Upgrade, phpBB Version Upgrade

Post by Pahanda »

The upgrade went mostly okay. There were some issues, which I'm sure you've already noticed.

Ubuntu 16.04 deprecated PHP5 for PHP7. This is, for the most part, a great thing - better features, better performance, increased security, etc. Unfortunately, this required me to reinstall PHP7 from scratch. I missed a module (the Postgres libraries) and Apache's mod_security "helpfully" covered up the 503 error (which told me quite clearly that the libraries were missing) with a generic 403 forbidden (to avoid exposing site info). Great for production sites... not so great for hobby-level stuff.

Additionally, phpBB 3.1.x does not support PHP7, so I had to upgrade to the phpBB 3.2.0 Release Candidate 1 (which is beta-quality, but perfectly usable).
This, unfortunately, broke a lot of styles (which you most likely have already noticed).

I've started a discussion thread here. Please feel free to chime in.
Real men (and tauren) wear kilts.
Update my signature regularly to reflect my characters' levels? Nah, I'm lazy!